Wednesday, December 5, 2012

melting iceburgs

I have always visualized my family background as a frozen tundra filled with iceburgs. Yet when I read this poem, I did not recognize it and wondered who wrote it. I was struck by the power of the imagery. Imagine my surprise to realize it was me. I am impressed by how accurately it portrays a major aspect of my healing. I am also moved to see how far I have left that landscape behind!!!!!!

In your silence
I bury myself under the cold snow
Forget the warmth I grappled my way back to
Climbing over generations of bodies 
Frozen
Their lips unmoving
Hands uselessly at their side
Unable to feel the heat of human touch
Emotions in solitary confinement
A million perceived rejections pile together until 
I too
Consider the tundra
Allow myself to give into to the cold
First a toe disappears, then a finger, a bit of my heart
Lost to the ice
My hand unmet
After a lifetime of trying to keep myself safe
Freeze the pain 
Lop off frostbitten body parts
I recognize
The only way for me to stay safe is to say
No 
to safety
To swim through the icy snow
To claw push shove grapple my way to the surface
To watch my mind like a caged beast
Refusing to let it pull me back into the prison
Over and over
To put my hand out
My heart unguarded
To say yes to silence to cold to avalanches
Whatever it takes
I turn from the frozen wilderness of german irish blood
Stiff upper lip east coast control
I spit scrape defecate
Bloodied and bruised again again again
Let the pain dance the tango
Bare my chest
Taunting
Give it your best shoot
I will not give in
I will love again

No comments:

Post a Comment