Monday, September 9, 2013

flies

I have an infestation of flies so looked up the meaning in Token Rock and found a lot of appropriate answers. Passing it on in case you to are surrounded by irritants:

The pervasiveness of flies was observed by the ancient Greeks to signify omnipresence. Flies are everywhere, and so too is divine presence - always watching, always buzzing with energy.
The Bamun people of Cameroon recognize flies as an energetic kingdom of tiny winged insects and their presence signified strength in unity according to Engelbert Mveng (L'art d'Afrique Noire). Moreover, the Bamun recognized the shapeshifting and cyclical nature of their ancestors. Essentially, they hold to an ideal that by swatting a fly, they may be squashing the spirit of a great great great grandfather.
In Native American symbolism, Navajo legend places the fly in high regard too. Dontso, the 'Great Fly' is called during healing ceremonies as the fly has the ability to 'eat' away necrotic or dying flesh. The fly is considered a purifier, and asked to consume negative influences and fly away with them - leaving the afflicted free from malady. I've also been told the Great Fly is considered a divine messenger, and even called upon as a heroic guide on spirit walks.
Parts of Asia take a more thoughtful approach, and view the fly as a symbol of a wandering or aimless soul.
When Nature pulls on the strings of my attention in various guises, I like to contemplate outstanding features of the flora/fauna that's playing on my awareness.
For example, when flies come buzzing my way I take it as an invitation to evaluate the nuisances 'bugging' me. Irritants accumulate in our energetic matrices - often unnoticed. Thus, the fly encourages me to take stock of the petty irritations I'm holding on to. Sometimes I even ask the fly to wing those vexations away from me (and I thank them for their service).
The fly is a master consumer of waste in all forms. In this analogy, am I saying we should consume our own waste? No, but I am encouraging a look at our emotional poop for the purpose of clearing out the stuff that no longer serves us.
I also appreciate the visionary quality of the fly. They see the world with over 3000 optical lenses. Can you even imagine? Consequently, when the fly pays me a visit, I'm reminded to expand my vision - see the world with multi-dimensional sight - the way the fly does.
So, the next time you're tempted to squish those flies buzzing around your aura, first take a moment to contemplate a deeper meaning of their presence.
Just thoughts.
Catch more buzzy bug meanings on my list of Insect Symbolism page here.


No comments:

Post a Comment