Sunday, May 15, 2011

loss and awakening

I have been noticing for awhile how many of the teachers I greatly admire have experienced an exceptional amount of loss. I was then particularly stuck when I came upon a clip from Oprah about Iyanla Vanzant and her book Peace from Broken Pieces. I listened with wonder and empathy to her extraordinary tale of loss- her husband, a relationship of forty years, her career, her riches and wealth, her reputation, her television show, her relationship with Oprah, her book contract, her home and possessions and finally, and most tragically, her daughter. I resonated so much with what she said and what she learned. I would recommend looking up those clips to hear her wisdom.
I have heard of a number of teachers whose children have died, spouses, financial ruin, etc. I myself sold a  beloved house for financial reason, and lost two of my most cherished dreams. And if I am honest, it was the loss, the stripping of identity which forced me on my knees to where I am now. Hearing Iyanla so poignantly describe her losses and learnings I was grateful that I am such a small potatoes teacher. It seems the greater the loss, the greater the awareness and the more influential the teacher. I personally know of only two apparent exceptions to this. I know two teachers who seemed to have been born wise yet I can not say what tragedy may have occurred in their childhoods.
I can say now categorically what I suspected but could not confirm until now; my last and greatest lost has catapulted me to a level of freedom and peace I had only preciously dreamed about. I have a calm certainty about my future, yet do not know any specific details other than to know it is and will be good and very, very good. I write about this because I know so many of us are experience profound loss and fear. My wish for you is that you can embrace it as it is happening rather than resist and fight. What would you say if I promised you that every step of the way is Divinely ordained, carefully constructed to lead you as gently as possible to your highest good? I assure you it is. Trust and faith were what I lacked so I went forth kicking and screaming my bloody head off. No more. Now I say, bring it on. I have tasted where I will arrive and know myself totally as the brilliant being I am. I am so close. And of course the same is true for you. You are a masterpiece and perhaps it is the gateway of loss that will open you to knowing that truth with every cell of your being. May you travel in deep faith and trust to arrive back where you started from, recognizing your own magnificence.

No comments:

Post a Comment