Saturday, May 14, 2011

dolphins, trust and belonging

I have so many blog ideas waiting to be birthed but a new thought popped out of nowhere to claim my attention. I have learned to never ignore my intuition so I am going to share my dolphin miracle.
I was on a live aboard yacht in the Bahamas to swim with dolphins. This was fulfilling a life long dream and honoring my deep affinity with dolphins. I have had miraculous encounters twice before but that is another story. For two days we did not encounter any dolphins. We ended up taking a family of three back to shore because they hated the experience, which had been a gift given to them. So we chugged in and out- a very long trip. But when we got back about 4-5 hours offshore we saw dolphins!! I was beyond thrilled. We saw them a number of times for several days and swam with them. We were warned never to touch them. But one day a dolphin kept circling me as I was snorkeling. The dolphin was very close. (I have a photo which hopefully I can somehow scan in.) Anyway, I restrained myself for several circles then I couldn't resist. I reached out and the dolphin slid along my hand, circling me. I was ECSTATIC- the chosen one! I caressed her sleek body once again. Now I was getting bold. I deliberately reached out to stoke her. She circled me several more times just out of reach by a millimeter then swam off. I followed in euphoric bliss. The waves were big as there was a hurricane off the coast of Cuba, not too far away. We had been warned never to leave the group of snorkelers so I faithfully kept checking. First there were five of us, then three, then two and on I swam. I suddenly looked up and realized I was alone with the dolphin pod, no boat in sight, about five hours from shore. I felt myself beginning to panic. I had panicked once before while scuba diving and almost drowned. This time I made a conscious decision not to panic. I used all my meditation skills to slow my breath. I decided to enjoy this extraordinary encounter with the dolphins. They stayed with me, playing games, swimming up toward me, charging at me only to dive under me at the last second. They circled me, did intricate patterns and generally kept me occupied. I felt a deep connection and gratitude. I knew absolutely that they realized I was in trouble and needed them. They were choosing to keep me company, keep me feeling safe. I was aware of a definite intelligence and certainty that they knew I had been afraid. There were perhaps a dozen dolphins. I knew on some level that my life was again in danger yet at the same time I felt a profound bliss.
Meanwhile, back on the yacht my friend told me that the captain was able to sight me very sporadically through the waves.  I have poor eyesight without glasses and was unable to see the yacht at all. After over an hour, they finally located me and pulled along side. Everyone jumped into the water to swim with the dolphins, who immediately took off. I had know all along that I would never be able to keep up with them if they had chosen to leave me. Now that I was safe, they swam away.
I am not sure why exactly I am sharing this but that's o.k. Maybe it is just to celebrate the mystery. It is definitely to honor and thank my dolphin friends. You stay in my heart. In fact I have tears just remembering the profound experience of astonishing connection. When I returned to land I felt heartsick. I was disoriented for days and had a strong sense of being banished from my home. I can not describe it now except to say that with them I felt a magical and extraordinary sense of belonging.

(Photo of the dolphin I touched and some of my other dolphin companions at bottom of the blog page.)

7 comments:

  1. Comment by Patricia Ibanez 3 hours ago added from my other blog site

    What a beautiful story! Dolphins are incredible animals, you are so fortunate to have lived such an
    amazing experience amongst them. I can´t wait until you write about the other miraculous encounter you
    had with dolphins! The way you described the sensation of being all alone, surrounded by dolphins; how they
    apparently accompanied you until you were spotted by the other divers,it´s so wonderful! I also believe they are extremely intelligent, and truley helped you until you were safe. They are really one of God´s most miraculous creatures.
    May 15, 2011 8:20 PM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your dolphin story. I can really appreciate the impact that experience had on you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, it was one of the most influential experiences of my life. Thanks for understanding, that makes me feel good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never seen a dolphin in the wild but footage I've seen shows them to be such playful and sensitive creatures. It's really cool that you were able to ride the wave of that experience because you could have just as easily chosen fear.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amen Sister! I saw that choice staring me in the face and remembered from 20 years earlier what had happened when I was scuba diving alone off of Catalina (it was only my second time out of class- so stupid) and I nearly drowned because I panicked when there was a problem. So I knew that not choosing fear could literally be a matter of life or death. Amazing, isn't it, that I was truly able to delight in the experience and stay out of fear once I decided.

    ReplyDelete