Thursday, September 27, 2012

joy in movement

I just had a powerful experience in my Nia class. Nia is a blend of dance, martial art, yoga and so on. The routine today was to bring in Universal joy. I was able to witness how much I did NOT enjoy the movements when I was in my head trying to catch on to what, for me, felt like a complicated routine of dance steps. I could sense a subtle level of judgment about how inept I was. Now this is a huge improvement from the days when my judgment of my physical lack of strength and skill was HUGE. So I am happy at his significant shift. Yet I sure wasn't enjoying myself.

Then there was a time when we were to do free movement to the music, accessing universal joy. WOWIE- I was able to witness how certain fluid movement brought in such joy. The teacher talked us through it , reminding us this joy is ever present, waiting for us to tap into it. We don't need to DO anything to access it- just choose it and clear anything that blocks that choice- simple but not easy, right?

Now I know many of you may have the direct experience of joy through the movement of the physical body. I have certainly always known it through swimming and water sports. But joy just cause I move my body in a way that my senses tell me is pleasurable? I think not. How often were my movements dictated by my mind, even in making love? What joy there is in freely moving the body as it wishes to flow. How often are our lives ruled by our minds? So will you join me in this moment by choosing to do something joyful? Will you blow a bubble, make a silly sound, stand on your head, give yourself a hug? If everyone world wide would choose one minute a day of doing/being something to invoke joy, I KNOW the world shift to LOVE/JOY would accelerate emmensely. What have you got to lose?

thank you to whoever finally looked at my blog on welcoming anxiety- I felt good about that. Now if someone looks at the Burning Man post, I will do a little joy dance. (yes, I know, hint, hint)

a plug for random acts of kindness: someone left a note on my car windshield. My license is   B L(HEART)VE-  B LOVE. My license plate holders both have sayings about love. So the note thanked me for my license plate and told me it made the person's day whenever s/he saw it. Wow, did that give me a burst of joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment