Wednesday, August 27, 2014

believing is seeing

I never got around to finishing this blog I began but it is too good to let alone so I will just post the quote as it is so accurate. I regret that I do not have the source of the quote:


I had been pondering the idea that believing is seeing for a few days when I read this:
“The conclusion is that our beliefs can filter and affect what data comes in through our senses. We can end up seeing and hearing only what we believe. The stronger the belief system, the more powerful will be its ability to filter out data that contradicts those beliefs. You were taught and you believe that seeing is believing. It should be the other way around. You have come to understand that metaphorically speaking, the eye is a camera that passively collects light and brings it in to record photographs of what is actually out there, with no alteration of the sense data going on. What I am proposing is that in actuality the reverse of that simple phrase is true: believing is seeing. What I am proposing is that the eye is a camera that filters out most of the electromagnetic spectrum to only record visible light, and that the camera is controlled by the photographer who chooses consciously or unconsciously what to photograph.”19

No comments:

Post a Comment